Sunday, March 2, 2008

The Suscipe Prayer of Saint Ignatius

Saint Ignatius wrote this prayer to be experienced in the Fourth Week of the The Spiritual Exercises during the Contemplation to Obtain Love.


Original

Suscipe, Domine, universam meam libertatem.
Accipe memoriam, intellectum, atque voluntatem omnem.
Quidquid habeo vel possideo mihi largitus es;
id tibi totum restituo, ac tuae prorsus voluntati trado gubernandum.
Amorem tui solum cum gratia tua mihi dones,
et dives sum satis, nec aliud quidquam ultra posco.


Literal translation

Take, Lord, my entire liberty.
Receive all my memory, intellect and will.
Whatever I have or possess you have given me;
I give it all back to you, and hand it over to be directed wholly by your will.
Give me only your love along with your grace,
and I am rich enough, nor do I ask for anything more.


Anthony Mottola's Translation

Take, O Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding, and my entire will,
all that i have and possess.
Thou hast given all to me, to Thee, O Lord, I return it.
All is Thine; dispose of it according to Thy will.
Give me Thy love and Thy grace, for this is enough for me.


Modern Translation
Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding and my entire will,
All I have and call my own. 
You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it. 
Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace.
That is enough for me.

No comments: